[Web-SIG] WSGI configuration and character encoding.

Alan Kennedy py-web-sig at xhaus.com
Tue Nov 30 19:00:48 CET 2004

[Alan Kennedy]
 >> Apart from encoding issues, I have no big problem with ConfigParser.
 >> My #1 choice is python syntax, but I understand that it may be overly
 >> complex for WSGI requirements.

[Bill Janssen]
 > There's the email approach, specified in RFC 2047.

I think that would be unworkable.

Remember, we're talking about simple text files which would be edited
using text editors like vi, Windows NotePad, etc. Such programs don't
support encoding portions of a file, in RFC 2047 or otherwise.

I don't think I could honestly expect non-technical users to be able to
get their head around RFC 2047. For example, imagine that I wanted to
use the Gaelic spelling of my name (aláin ó cinnéide) as an email
address @ python.org, to specify as the webmaster in a WSGI config file.
The declaration would look like this

webmaster: =?iso-8859-1?q?al=A0in=A2cinn=82ide=40python=2Eorg?=

:-0~

Also, the RFC 2047 support (i.e. mimetools) is broken before python 2.2,
when the email module was introduced.

I think we need to focus on solutions that can be edited with something
as basic as Windows Notepad.

Regards,

Alan.