[Web-SIG] Python Web Modules - Version 0.5.0
james at pythonweb.org
Mon Jan 31 19:34:57 CET 2005
I'd like to announce the release of the Python Web Modules 0.5.0.
This development release brings WSGI support to the modules.
* Web Server Gateway Interface support - auth, error, database and session
middleware and a WSGI Server.
* Licensed under the LGPL after discussions on the mailing list (but also
includes software under other open source licenses which are probably LGPL
* Database layer supports foreign keys, joins and a pure Python database.
* New coding structure focused on environments and drivers.
* Documentation in various formats including PDF and CHM (Microsoft HTML Help)
* Many bug fixes.
http://www.pythonweb.org/ Download and have a play
What are the Web Modules?
The Python Web Modules are a suite of simple and easy to use Python components
designed to allow developers to write Python CGI scripts or web applications
with SQL databases, sessions, templates, email and authorisation functionality.
A key part of the project is the creation of documentation and examples to allow
developers with less time or experience to begin Python web programming without
having to read all the sources and comments from the very beginning.
The modules can easily be used on shared web hosting accounts running Apache and
Python for example or with the built in webserver. They are designed to be
easily accessible to beginners or developers currently using PHP or Perl whilst
also offering lower level APIs for experts to create powerful dynamic websites.
Key features include:
- Full Web Server Gateway Interface Support
- Identification handling. Users may have multiple access levels to multiple
applications. Sign in handling is built in.
- Persistence using cookie or URL based session IDs allowing any object which
can be pickled to be stored.
- HTML Form generation and user input handling. Field objects available for HTML
fields and the main Python types including date and time objects. Values
returned as Python objects.
- Portable SQL syntax, DB-API interface and database abstraction layer
supporting MySQL, SQLite, SnakeSQL for cross-database programming. Types are
converted. Multiple return formats including dict, tuple and object.
- Object-relational mapper similar to SQLObject allowing transparent database
manipulation using dictionary-like objects in Python code built on
web.database. One and many to many mappings and automatic HTML form generation
for editing records.
- Enhanced error handling based on the principles of the cgitb module. Handlers
for file storage, browser output or email notifications and more.
- Support for Cheetah, XYAPUT and Dreamweaver MX templates.
- Quickly send plain text or HTML emails.
- Generate 2D pie, bar and scatter graphs in a variety of image formats.
- Simple XSL Transform.
- Create an environment for the applications.
- Python 2.3 date handling compatibility module for Python 2.2.
Web Modules Links
More information about the Web-SIG