[Web-SIG] A trivial template API counter-proposal

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Feb 5 23:33:59 CET 2006

At 03:26 PM 2/5/2006 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>Even the most trivial of web applications needs templates to include
>other templates, so the fact that this doesn't do anything to aid or
>specify that makes the spec feel leaky.  I can indicate where the
>template comes from initially, but all bets are off after that.

As Ben has previously pointed out, systems like Myghty are going to ignore
your 'find_template()' because they do their own finding.  So the spec will
leak no matter what, until we get to the level of specification called for
by the "embedding" side of my proposal.  (The compile/write stuff.)  And
Ben and Michael have both pointed out that trying to meet a spec that calls
for them to change how their inner find_template works would be costly.

Note, however, that these constraints don't have anything to do with
whether WSGI is used or not; the essential complexity of the problem is
still the same.