[Web-SIG] simpleweb 0.7.2 in cheeseshop
Essien Ita Essien
me at essienitaessien.com
Thu Jan 4 21:43:09 CET 2007
I'm please to annouce that I've just uploaded simpleweb-0.7.2 to cheeseshop.
What Is simpleweb
simpleweb is simple python wsgi compliant web framework, inspired by
Django, Turbo Gears and Web.py
simpleweb is a result of working closely with web.py, TurboGears,
Django, and a very hefty dose of opinionation(tm) :)
Like TurboGears, it builds on existing python and wsgi components, to
keep things simple, and just connects these components in a very easy
Like web.py its dispatching mechanism is matched strictly to HTTP methods.
http://simpleweb.essienitaessien.com for details.
Major Changes In This Version
1. Dependencies reduction (simpleweb now has ONLY ONE non-optional
2. create-movable plugin. This will make the project folder self
sufficient, and is able to be deployed WITHOUT installing any libraries
on the target system. Not even simpleweb needs to be installed on the
The website http://simpleweb.essienitaessien.com has been updated to
reflect the changes.
With this new release, the recommended plot is:
1 - Install simpleweb and its dependencies on development machine where
developer probably controls python version, and library environment/site
2 - When complete and ready for deployment, use simpleweb-admin
create-movable, to create a self contained deployment folder. Deploy
this self contained folder on the target hosting environment. This way,
various versions of applications can be deployed with various versions
If you control the hosting environment, you can also choose to install
simpleweb and dependencies system wide, and deploy normally. I'm now
deploying the web app on http://simpleweb.essienitaessien.com this way.
I'll really appreciate tests and feedback. I'm not rushing to add more
features for now, but will spend time to make these more robust.
ChangeLog 0.7.2 - Dependency Reduction Branch
* Add 'create-movable' plugin to simpleweb-admin
* Initial work on dependency reduction
* Introduced simpleweb.extlib [resolver, selector, yaro, memento, static]
* All references to the above libraries are now internal
* Made 'flup' an optional dependency
* Dev server will warn of sessions not being available. If
config.enable_sessions is set
* FCGI deployment will send a msg to stderr, on non flup.servers.fcgi
* Made sqlobject, sqlalchemy and Cheetah optional dependencies
attempting to enable
them as plugins in config.py will cause an error alerting that they can't
be used unless installed.
* simpleweb.utils.optional_dependecies_err() -> to consistenly report
* oh! modified the internal server banner again :)
* utils.from_import() now properly raises exceptions instead of calling
* simpleweb no more crashes if a controller specified in urls.py doesn't
exist. It sends a warning to stderr instead. If an attempt is made to
access that url, an HTTP 404 is raised.
* unify error/info/warn reporting accross simpleweb with
simpleweb.utils.msg_[err | warn | info]
* Add SimpleErrorMiddleware, and use that to handle errors in
* Correct the simpleweb-admin 'help' plugin to properly
print help for create-movable plugin. Also, set
ground-work for converting badly named plugins (e.g.
createproject should be renamed to create-project, etc)
More information about the Web-SIG