[Web-SIG] start_response and error checking

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Sep 25 12:54:11 CEST 2007

The WSGI spec says that start_response callable *must not* actually
transmit the response headers. Instead, it must store them.

The problem is that it says nothing about errors checking.
As an example the Apache mod_wsgi implementation only checks that the
objects is a Python List Object.

This means that I can do:

start_response('200 OK', [1, 2, 3])

with no exception being raised (the exception will only be raise when I
attempt to write some data).

Is this the intentend behaviour?

P.S.:
I'm not sure, but it seems that Apache mod_wsgi allows status code with
more then 3 digits, without reporting an error.
Again, is this the intented, conforming, behaviour?

Thanks and regards  Manlio Perillo