[Web-SIG] URL quoting in WSGI (or the lack therof)

Luis Bruno lbruno at 100blossoms.com
Sat Jan 19 15:38:09 CET 2008

Hello y'all, delurking,

I'm using a /-delimited path, %-encoding each literal '/' appearing in
the path segments. I was not amused to see egg:Paste#http urldecoding
the whole PATH_INFO.

Ben Bangert wrote:
> This recently became an issue, when a user noticed that the %2B URL
> encoding for a + sign, had turned into a space when it hit their app.
A swift monkey-patch to
paste.httpserver.py:WSGIHandlerMixin.wsgi_setup() later, and
ORIGINAL_PATH_INFO is part of the WSGI spec in my world. The following
URL now Does The Right Thing:

http://127.0.0.1:5000/catalog/NEC/Computers/Laptops/LN500%2F9DW/

Rober Brewer wrote:
> I changed CP's wsgiserver to do decoding that very day. So I think the
> answer is "yes".
IMHO "yes" is the wrong answer; I am also very unsure about what is the
right answer. I have to walk [urldecode(segment) for segment in
ORIGINAL_PATH_INFO.split('/')]; this doesn't look like the Right Answer
to me anyway.

--
Luís Bruno