[Web-SIG] Are you going to convert Pylons code into Python 3000?

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 00:05:56 CET 2008

Jose Galvez wrote:
> this is an interesting issue, because I would suspect that all our pylons
> applications will have to be converted as well as the pylons base code.  I
> know that there is going to be a program which will automate the
> translation, but not having used it I don't know what issues the translation
> will cause.  The other big question is will eggs will they  be able to tell
> the difference between python 2.x and 3.x since the code will be different
> Jose
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Leo <MorgunL at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Subj.
> > Is Python 3000 migration planned?

There is more to it than just that. One problem is that the WSGI 1.0
specification is incompatible with Python 3.0. There were some
preliminary discussions about how the specification would need to be
changed, but no real final outcome. The discussions also probably
didn't cover everything that would need to be changed in the
specification. For example, wsgi.file_wrapper and how it would have to
be changed wasn't discussed.

The main issues were captured in:

  http://www.wsgi.org/wsgi/Amendments_1.0

Note though that that page is merely a collection of points discussed
and is itself not any sort of official set of amendments to the WSGI
specification.

Personally I believe that WSGI 1.0 should die along with Python 2.X. I
believe that WSGI 2.0 should be developed to replace it and the
introduction of Python 3.0 would be a great time to do that given that
people are going to have to change their code anyway and that code
isn't then likely to be backward compatible with Python 2.X.

Graham