[Web-SIG] Announcing bobo

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 16 17:47:22 CEST 2009

At 05:19 PM 6/16/2009 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>Hey,
>
>On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Etienne
>Robillard<robillard.etienne at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Nothing very new here. At least next time try to be a little more
> > creative, otherwise this is getting slightly boring and repetitive...
>
>It's a bit rich to call Jim Fulton uncreative concerning web
>development. I suggest you delve into the history of Python web
>development for a bit. Of course back in '97 there was more to invent
>than there is today.

Surely Etienne is joking, since anybody who knows Python web
development should know that Bobo was actually the first Python web
framework ever developed, 12 years ago, and that it invented quite a
lot of the things found in Python web frameworks today, not to
mention being the forerunner of all things Zope.

It's rather nice to see it back, reincarnated on today's egg/WSGI
infrastructure.  The original Bobo was what convinced me to become a
Python programmer 12 years ago. (...after I realized that a
Bobo-equivalent framework could not be implemented in Perl without
far greater wizardry than I was capable of managing, while in Python
it was nearly trivial to do so.  I left Perl and never looked back.)