[Web-SIG] Announcing bobo

Sergey Schetinin maluke at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 03:55:17 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-18, Aaron Watters <arw1961 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  --- On Wed, 6/17/09, Sergey Schetinin <maluke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > When considering webapps and what urls they should handle
>  > it seems
>  > like the same should apply -- webapps define contained
>  > blocks of
>  > functionality and the task of placing them somewhere in
>  > URL-space
>  > belongs to the "caller" which in this case would be a
>  > configuration or
>  > serving script or, most often, a parent application.
>

> So you seem to be suggesting that a web component
>  should not be aware of its URL in the same sense
>  that an object is not aware of
>  its variable name in the scope of the application
>  that is using the object.  Is that right?
>
>  In particular you should be able to assign a
>  component to any URL in the same sense that you
>  can give an object any name.  You should also
>  be able to build relocatable URL trees which can
>  be "mounted" anywhere in the "calling" application
>  suite.  Do I catch your meaning correctly?

Spot on.

>  It's not clear to
>  me whether Bobo allows or disallows this
>  (I think whiff, and standard cgi, for two examples,
>  support this sort of url handling).

Generally, I think "allowing" it is not enough, I'd prefer it to be
*expected*, not just supported. Certainly if one wants to write their
own apps this way there are plenty ways to do that, I'm just a bit sad
that the default solution in Python webdev seems to be "bring in
inflexible stuff you don't need" (not a stab at anything in
particular, just something that seems to be the consensus ATM). I
think one of the reasons for that is that you can't have a big website
and screencasts to woo the newcomers and "good docs" and whatnot about
writing a series of ifs, can you? Unlike the frameworkey stuff.

I'd go to the Series-Of-Ifs-CON if there was one, though :)

--
Best Regards,
Sergey Schetinin

http://s3bk.com/ -- S3 Backup