[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Sep 16 21:17:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> * Clarifying the encoding of environ values (locale+surrogateescape vs.
> latin1, TBD)

locale+surrageescape would be insanity!  CGI will just require some
configuration with respect to the environment.  Anyway, I suspect CGI only
really works because: (a) people using CGI are sticking to ASCII, (b)
they've fixed stuff up in their apps, (c) they just produce garbage and no
one cares.

* Making the streams and all output values byte strings ('str' on 2.x,
> 'bytes' on 3.x), leaving everything else "native" strings ('str' on both 2.x
> and 3.x)
>
> * Any other minor errata/clarifications that the folks with the requisite
> experience (e.g. Robert, Ian, Graham -- not an exclusive list, but at least
> they all have both heavy WSGI implementations under their belts and 3.x
> experience) think are absolutely necessary to resolve open questions for
> Python 3.2 WSGI implementations.

There are some simple errata, most of which I believe web3 covers (in
addition to other things it covers).

I think everyone is on board with:

  status, headers, app_iter = app(environ)

Web3 proposed a different order, but it seems clear from the thread that
people prefer the more natural order, and web3 authors don't particularly
object.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org