[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Thu Sep 16 21:32:07 CEST 2010

Not sure this discussion belongs here but since you asked:

I think it should have takes three/four more bold steps:
1) address the GIL issue completely by removing reference counting
2) add more support for lightweight threads (like stackless, erlang
and go)
3) perhaps allow some mechanism for tainting data and do restricted
execution
4) change name to avoid confusion
... and yet stress that it was almost 100% compatible with existing
python code.

I think a lot more people would have jumped on it from outside the
existing community.
The future is in multi core processors and lightweight threads.

Of course I am not a developer and I do realize these things may be
hard to accomplish.
I also trust Guido's judgement more than my own in this respect so
consider mine a wish more than a realistic suggestion.

Massimo