[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Fri Sep 17 09:35:18 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 21:39, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Or, to put it another way: splitting the spec into two 100% incompatible
> versions is a bad idea for Python 3 adoption.  With a WSGI 1 addendum, we
> should be able to make it possible to put the same apps and middleware on 2
> and 3 with just a decorator wrapping them.  (i.e., people should be able to
> write libraries that run on both 2 and 3, which is probably critical to
> adoption).
>
> I just wish I'd come to these conclusions much sooner...  like a year or two
> ago.  :-(

Meh, I'd much rather have Web3/WSGI 2 (and I prefer the WSGI name,
too) for Python 3 than the small update you're proposing. IMO there
are some good improvements in Chris & Armin's spec over the original
WSGI, and I would be sad to have to go back to an incremental update
that does just enough to make PEP 333 work on Python 3. (Also I think
there might actually be value in having some incompatibility to make
the distinction clearer.)

Cheers,

Dirkjan