[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Sep 17 10:36:20 CEST 2010

Am 16.09.2010 23:07, schrieb James Mills:
>> - the web3 name
>>
>>  If there is any value in this PEP and we find something to decide on,
>>  there is no reason this couldn't be WSGI 2.  But until it's just
>>  something a small part of the web-sig community worked on directly
>>  a separate name is a good thing I think, because it does not reserve
>>  the name "WSGI 2" for something that might actually become WSGI 2
>>  in case this PEP gets rejected.
>
> I personally still don't see any real benefit to changing the key names
> from "wsgi" to "web3" (or whatever). I would prefer it remain the
> same. If you're going to use Python3, you know you're using Python3
> (you don't need "web3" key names to know that). (subjective)

That statement shows another weakness of the "web3" name: this spec is not
in the least exclusive to Python 3.  (Which would be a bit useless, having
two incompatible WSGI/web specs on two incompatible Python versions.)

The goal would be to first migrate to WSGI2/web3, and *then* have an easy
transition going to Python 3.

Georg