[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Sep 18 11:34:00 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Marcel Hellkamp <marc at gsites.de> wrote:

> With WSGI it was possible to yield empty strings as long as the
> application is waiting for data and call start_response once the headers
> are final. Not perfect, but at least non-blocking. Web3 removes this
> possibility. The headers must be returned before the body iterable
> yielded its first element, empty or not.
>
> Removing any support for this type of asynchronism would render web3
> useless for all but completely synchronous and trivial applications.
> Even frameworks would have no way to work around this anymore.

I'm aware of what a lot of people have done with WSGI, but I'm not aware of
anyone doing an async proxy of any sort, or implementing anything in a way
where this empty string policy served any function.  It's not implausible
that it *could* be used, but years of practice have shown it is not used.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org