[Wheel-builders] pinned-down dependencies for building wheel versus loose dependencies for experimentation

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Fri Sep 9 06:16:58 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Vitaly Kruglikov
<vkruglikov at numenta.com> wrote:

> The suggestion from your previous post for solving my problem by deploying
> library A with loose dependencies to PyPy as well as another ³codeless²
> library B with only setup.py containing the pinned-down dependencies would
> likely work. However, the additional complexity of the solution (more
> moving parts) is telling me that the problem I am trying to solve may be
> going against the grain of what python packaging and deployment intended.

See an example of this approach, based on an IRC chat excerpt from #pypa

(10:45:14 AM) [Tritium]: if you pip install toga with no dependencies,
nothing will be installed. The toga package is a meta-package - its
just a setup.py file
(10:45:40 AM) [Tritium]: its like a distro metapackage; existing only
to depend on other packages

The example can be found here:
https://github.com/pybee/toga/blob/master/setup.py

--