[XML-SIG] expat namespace_separator in Python 2.1

Daniel "eikeon" Krech eikeon@eikeon.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:08:30 -0400

> > We just discovered that Redfoot (and its RDF parser) breaks in Python
2.1
> > because expat is now more restrictive in what can be a
namespace_separator.
> > Does anyone know why this change was made?
>
> I'm not aware of any change to that respect. pyexpat passes the
> namespace_separator as-is to Expat. What version of expat are you
> using?

We are using the one that came with the Python2.1 final (source) release.
There is a test in Python-2.1/Lib/test/test_pyexpat.py at the end that is
testing for 'too short'. We have been using a namespace separator of an
empty string with no problems using Python2.0 and earlier. It does appear to
be a restriction imposed by the underlying pyexpat library... I am curious
what motivated this restriction as it seems like it should be a valid thing
for an application to want to do.

-eikeon