[XML-SIG] Proper way of generating a parentless Node object

Mark Humphrey msph@alyra.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:41:55 -0500

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:52:38PM -0600, Mike Olson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 14:55, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > Mark Humphrey <msph@alyra.org> writes:
> >

> > I believe what you want to do is not possible with standard DOM
> > API. So you need to revert to implementation-specific extensions. For
> > 4DOM, you can use _4dom_setOwnerElement.
>
> importNode will work as well.
>

> nodeToAdd = document.importNode(nodeTobeImported,deep=1)
> document.appendChild(nodeToAdd)
>

> or similar
>
> Mike

Okay, this appears to work, so I will go with it for now.

How do people normally process a document for a particular namespace?  Do they have one class or a set of classes that process that namespace only?  I've set my system up so that one class processes a namespace (ns1), and when it encounters a tag for another namespace (ns2), and the schema for ns1 says that's a legal tag, then it calls into the object designed to handle ns2.

Does this make sense, or am I missing an important point somewhere?

--
Mark "Markus" Humphrey		<msph@alyra.org>
http://www.alyra.org/~msph/