[XML-SIG] XUL and Python

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:28:19 -0600

> > I found this page on Python and XUL:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/docs/xul/xulnotes/xulnote_oven.html
> > which starts with this example:

>  [...]
>
> > I've tried looking for this XUL module, but can't find it.
>
> Near the end of the article to which you referred, it says:
>
> > In the meantime, the source code is available __here__. To use
> > the module, copy the source code into a file called XUL.py and
> > put it in your PYTHONPATH, start the interpreter, and import
> > the module's classes.
>
> "__here__" is a hyperlink that points to the following URL:
>
>   http://www.mozilla.org/docs/xul/xulnotes/XUL.py.txt
>
> But do note that the XUL article was written at least 2 and a
> half years ago, and PyXML didn't really exist 2.5 years ago.  I
> don't know enough of either XUL or the current PyXML stuff
> to know how easy it would be to do this, but I suspect that PyXML
> could help someone to write a much better XUL.py today.

You can program XUL in Python through PyXPCOM.

See my articles:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/components/library/co-pyxp1.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-pyxp2.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/co-pyxp3/

Some things have changed since I wrote that.  For instance, PyXPCOM is now
built in with Mozilla.

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html