Yes, I was able to work around the issue by updating my flake8 config, but I would have preferred  no breaking change or documentation on the change.

I didn't realize I could log in to gitlab to be able to submit an issue. I created a login and wrote up the bug: https://gitlab.com/pycqa/flake8/issues/250 

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:36 AM Peter Bittner <peter.bittner@gmx.net> wrote:
Hi there,

I can confirm this behavior. Took me by surprise in the middle of
September when I started a project where I use Tox to run even static
code analysis. I wasn't sure though whether it was always like this.
Now I know better---thanks for the confirmation, Jaime.

I had to exclude .tox through my flake8 configuration like this:
https://github.com/painless-software/painless-continuous-delivery/blob/master/tox.ini#L36

Cheers, Peter


2016-11-09 2:52 GMT+01:00 Ian Cordasco:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Jaime McCandless wrote:
>> I upgraded from flake8 2.5.4 to 3.0.4 and my .tox directory was no longer
>> excluded by default. I didn't find any documentation on this change.
>>
>> It would be great if you either:
>>
>> fixed this (i.e. exclude .tox by default)
>> documented the breaking change
>>
>> Jaime
>
> Hi Jaime,
>
> I can't reproduce this. It'd be great if you could provide more
> detail. You can see the bug report template on GitLab for the kind of
> detail we request of people reporting bugs.