devpi-server-2.3: more resilient pypi caching, semantic versioning ============================================================================
The devpi-server-2.3 release brings two important changes:
- We don't use the XMLRPC "changelog" interface of pypi.python.org anymore. Instead devpi-server now re-checks with pypi every 30 minutes and will serve cached contents in between. If pypi is not reachable and we still have cached contents we continue serving the cached content so that we can survive pypi outages.
- we switched to semantic versioning so that only major version number increases signal the need for an export/import cycle. If you have a devpi-server-2.2.X installation you are not required to export/import. However, there has been a regression with the execnet-1.4.0 release which was fixed with the now current execnet-1.4.1 release. If you have freshly setup devpi-server and used execnet-1.4.0 at that time you will need to do an export with execnet-1.4.0 and then import with execnet-1.4.1 installed.
Note also that we released new micro releases of devpi-client and devpi-web which are pure bugfixing releases.
For many more changes and fixes, please see the respective CHANGELOG of the respective packages.
For docs and quickstart tutorials see http://doc.devpi.net
many thanks to Florian Schulze who any of the new features. And special thanks go to the two still unnamed companies who funded major parts of the above work.
holger krekel, merlinux GmbH
2.3.0 (2015-09-10) ------------------
- switched to semantic versioning. Only major revisions will ever require an export/import cycle.
- fix issue260: Log identical upload message on level "info"
- Log upload trigger message on level "warn"
- The PyPI changelog isn't watched for changes anymore. Instead we cache release data for 30 minutes, this can be adjusted with the ``--mirror-cache-expiry`` option.
- fix issue251: Require and validate the "X-DEVPI-SERIAL" from master in replica thread
- fix issue258: fix FileReplicationError representation for proper logging
- fix issue256: if a project removes all releases from pypi or the project is deleted on pypi, we get a 404 back. In that case we now return an empty list of releases instead of returning an UpstreamError.
- Change nginx template to serve HEAD in addition to GET requests of files directly instead of proxying to devpi-server
- make keyfs cache size configurable via "--keyfs-cache-size" option and increase the default size to improve performance for installations with many writes