Shutting down the distutils-sig mailing list has been suggested since
December 2020, notably by Pradyun Gedam who also raised the issue
again in May 2021. However, everyone seems nervous about making the
Well, I'm still the moderator of the list, so I'm happy to make that
call: let's shut the list down for 2021!
Steps I'll take:
* Edit the list's one-line description to "Former list for Python
packaging ecosystem discussion. Now archived."
* Edit the list's long description to be in the past tense, and to
point people at the right category on discuss.python.org.
* Change the default action for the list for members and non-members to
'Reject (with notification)'.
* Clear the list of members by unsubscribing everyone.
* Clear the email addresses listed in the 'accept these nonmembers' field.
* Submit a PR for the Python docs to remove 'distutils-sig(a)python.org'
as author of a few sections. Are there other PyPA repos that might
reference the list?
I'll aim to do all of these tomorrow, on the last day of year.
I've recently released version 0.3.4 of distlib on PyPI . For newcomers,
distlib is a library of packaging functionality which is intended to be
usable as the basis for third-party packaging tools.
The main changes in this release are as follows:
* Fixed #153: Raise warnings in get_distributions() if bad metadata seen, but keep
* Fixed #154: Determine Python versions correctly for Python >= 3.10.
* Updated launcher executables with changes to handle duplication logic.
Code relating to support for Python 2.6 was also removed (support for Python 2.6 was
dropped in an earlier release, but supporting code wasn't removed until now).
A more detailed change log is available at .
Please try it out, and if you find any problems or have any suggestions for improvements,
please give some feedback using the issue tracker!