On Sep 18, 2013 11:37 PM, "PJ Eby" firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Benjamin Root email@example.com
In creating a source distribution, I have found a disparity between the behaviors of distutils and setuptools with respect to package_data. As
python Issue 2279: http://bugs.python.org/issue2279, entries listed in package_data are used when building an sdist. I have verified that this works in a simple example when setup() is imported from distutils.core. However, if I import setup() from setuptools, it does not pull in the
as listed in package_data (and presumedly data_files).
You need to use the include_package_data = True flag.
I did and it didn't make a difference. Plus, shouldn't it have picked up everything that I had version controlled, anyway? Does setuptools recognize the new svn 1.7 format? Even svn 1.6 clients will refuse to do an 'svn status' on a 1.7 repo checkout. So, I think there might be multiple bugs in play.
I also don't see why I should have to use that keyword argument if distutils does fine without it. sdist isnt -- from my perspective -- a setuptools specific feature, so I had no expectation of there being such an egregious difference.
P.S. - on a related note, for a package "foo", foo.egg-info directory is created with a SOURCES.txt file. I have found that under certain
it seems that a successful install would result in a fully listed SOURCES.txt, and then subsequent calls to sdist seems to use that information to build seemingly correct archives. A co-working double-checking a deployment process I made did an sdist and created a source distribution without the package_data when he did a fresh
but whenever I did it from my development branch, the source
worked fine. I haven't figured out exactly how this came about, but it
to be tied to the SOURCES.txt file.
SOURCES.txt mostly exists so that you can safely build an sdist from an sdist, as is required by e.g. bdist_rpm, without having any revision control data on hand to guide the process. Setuptools also can insert a possibly-modified setup.cfg into an sdist for the same reason, so that if you used revision control tags to specify the version when building the sdist, any sdists rebuilt from that sdist will have the same version tags.
Yes, I understand what sources.txt is for. The issue is that it seems that it is possible for different build commands to produce different source.txt results. Since I haven't figured out how I managed to do that, it isn't the focus of my bug report.
Cheers! Ben Root