Hey all --
With Sumana's help, I've been working to get the next pipenv release out by the end of the month. As some of you may already know, I recently changed jobs and am now working for Canonical where I have part of my time allocated to open source work in general (and pipenv in particular).
The main pipenv release blockers have been fixes in andnew releases of requirementslib, pythonfinder, pip-shims, and vistir, and merging https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/tree/feature/vendor-updateto address missing dependencies/imports.I've beenworking on these and should wrap up this week.||
You can help in a few ways:
1. Look at the tracking issue for the new release https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/3369and speak up there if you know of a release blocker that isn't in the list. 2. If you see me in #pypa-dev on Freenode IRC, feel free to ask me what I'm working on. Sumana's been keeping me focused this month (and helped me write up the tracking issue, and this email) and it's been helpful, as I am juggling a lot of obligations and can get distracted.|| 3. I could use help replying to new users' questions in pipenv GitHub issues, so I can concentrate on the new release. If you'd like triage permissions on the project please reach out, I'd be happy to give them. 4. Documentation! Pipenv documentation, now at https://pipenv.pypa.io/,needs some serious rework. So if you have any skills in this area,the project would really benefit from a critical review here. 5. Make sure to say 'thanks' to Sumana if you see her on IRC, she is responsible for moving this release forward and is pretty great!
I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks, -Dan Ryan (techalchemy)
|:| You can look at https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/3742#issuecomment-492100711and https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/4058#issuecomment-565550646for more context on why we've been delayed on a new release since November 2018. ||: Iacknowledge that I've been super behind on this release,but I also have moved, had a fire in my new house, changed jobs, etc., and am onlynowsettling into my new role where I finally am paid to spend some time on pipenv.So, after this release is out, I hope to get back to helping new contributors more so we can promote some more co-maintainers, so this doesn't block releases again.
Thanks Dan! Some further comments inline.
On 3/25/20 4:33 PM, Dan Ryan wrote:
- Documentation! Pipenv documentation, now at
https://pipenv.pypa.io/, needs some serious rework. So if you have any skills in this area,the project would really benefit from a critical review here.
A few specific documentation bugs that people could help with:
* https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/2660 a list of a few sections that could use better explanations * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/1952 asking for a note about a particular quirk * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/1862 on conda
And, because error logs and autogenerated lockfiles include documentation, some "give people info so they can troubleshoot better" issues they could use help with:
* https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/2707 How do you see the delta between two Pipfile.lock files? * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/2365 Explicitly inform user we can’t allow certain packages to be pinned * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/2092 Actively warn users about misconfigured locale * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/1886 Capture more auditing metadata in the lock file * https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/2818 Add a comment to the top of generated requirements.txt files
- Make sure to say 'thanks' to Sumana if you see her on IRC, she is
responsible for moving this release forward and is pretty great!
As you probably guessed, I did not write this line. :-) Thanks, Dan.