On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:59:02 -0500 (EST)
Ken Manheimer<ken(a)digicool.com> wrote:
> (Proper handling of the subject line prefix was one of the first
> things i did - i'm pretty sure it was before 1.0b3, maybe 1.0b1.
> If i recall correctly, i implemented a slightly more stringent
> strategy, only looking for the prefix early on in the subject
> line, after "re:"'s, but before other text. I know it takes care
> of the vast majority of cases, and i suspect it's preferable more
> of the time in offbeat cases than looking for the prefix anywhere
> in the subject line, but i may be wrong.
There are three common caxes:
1) User thinks he's being helpful and prepends his own tag.
2) Tag comes at start of Subject: or after some Re: or Fwd
3) Tag occurs one or more times in Subject body due to hand edited
subject (eg: Subject: XXX (was [tag] YYY)
#1 is ignorable.
#2 is slightly painful in the variations. eg Notes uses a "Re:
#ddd" where the ddd's are a digital count of the number of replies
made from Notes.
#3 needs to be checked for and the (potentially multiple) instances
of the tag need to be stripped
I spent a while writing C code to do all of this (except for the
Notes thing -- that's on the bug list), and can provide code samples
J C Lawrence Internet: claw(a)kanga.nu
(Contractor) Internet: coder(a)kanga.nu
---------(*) Internet: claw(a)under.engr.sgi.com
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...