On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:59:02 -0500 (EST) Ken Manheimerken@digicool.com wrote:
(Proper handling of the subject line prefix was one of the first things i did - i'm pretty sure it was before 1.0b3, maybe 1.0b1. If i recall correctly, i implemented a slightly more stringent strategy, only looking for the prefix early on in the subject line, after "re:"'s, but before other text. I know it takes care of the vast majority of cases, and i suspect it's preferable more of the time in offbeat cases than looking for the prefix anywhere in the subject line, but i may be wrong.
There are three common caxes:
User thinks he's being helpful and prepends his own tag.
Tag comes at start of Subject: or after some Re: or Fwd
subject (eg: Subject: XXX (was [tag] YYY)
#1 is ignorable.
#2 is slightly painful in the variations. eg Notes uses a "Re: #ddd" where the ddd's are a digital count of the number of replies made from Notes.
#3 needs to be checked for and the (potentially multiple) instances of the tag need to be stripped
I spent a while writing C code to do all of this (except for the Notes thing -- that's on the bug list), and can provide code samples as needed.