We had an issue with outgoing mail last week that caused a number of
users on multiple lists to be disabled due to bounces. I'd like to
clear all those flags and reenable those users.
Is there an easy way to take care of that en masse? Or at least to
locate all those users without paging through membership lists on the
Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
We notice that our 1-click unsubscribe
doesn't get interpreted correctly by gmail. The whole text get displayed as
is while other email systems like yahoo translates it into a clickable
Anyone has a solution or workaround?
I have two mailing lists. One is a complete list for all the members of my community association, and the other is for the board of directors of the community association. I would like to be able to link the two lists so that residents could send emails to the board list without moderation. I know I could embed the residents list in the board list as a full list of emails, but it would be much more efficient to be able to just link to the residents list. Is there a way to do that?
We are using Mailman Version 2.1.9 the problem we are facing is when we use a Yahoo e-mail ID to send an e-mail to a mailing list it reaches mailman but when i Accept it as a moderator it's not delivered to subscribers of the list. I tried with Gmail and MSN everything works fine but this only happens when sent from Yahoo.
If anyone has had a similar problem please let me know what solution did you apply ?
I have a list with around 50k users and I wanted to move from one server to
Does copying the the specific list's directory (e.g. under
/var/lib/mailman/lists) from one server to another work?
Or, alternatively, does config_list output sufficient information of all
the settings and characteristics such that I can then input on the other
I have recently acquired the responsibility of maintaining a small
listserver with about 1000 users.
We are using version 2.1.16 of Mailman.
The emails that currently are sent out via the listserv server have headers
that include the original sender's email address as the "From:" address.
Yahoo's and Aol's DMARC policy causes these to bounce as our server is not
one they recognize.
I have seen many posts regarding this problem, but no actual solutions that
told me what I should do.
This is not my area of expertise, just something that dropped in my lap.
A strategy that makes some sense to me is to take ownership of the emails
by identifying the listserv as the From and Reply-To addresses, but
including a custom footer in the email that exposes the actual sender's
This should avoid Yahoo and Aol rejecting the email due to DMARC, as Yahoo
and Aol will not be asked for their opinion as to what should or should not
be done with this email.
I set the annonomous_list setting to yes under general options, and sent a
test email. The email went out fine, but nothing in the default email
footer allowed others to know who actually sent the email out.
I attempted to change the default non-digest footer to include the sender's
address, but did not succeed. It appears that this info is regarding the
recipient,not the sender's info. I.E. user xxx(a)mydomain.com sends to
yyy(a)listserver.com, zzz(a)hisdomain.com is also a member of the listserv and
receives an email, but the footer to the email does not show xxx@mydomain,
just info about zzz(a)hisdomain.com. I tried the user_address,
user_delivered_to, and user_name variables but none contained info
regarding the sender.
So, the question is how to get the sender's email address in the footer.
Thanks in advance,
I am wondering if there is a way to have several mailman lists created at once via command line. I am talking about 100 lists or so. Otherwise creating them through the GUI would take forever.
Maybe creating a file with list name, password,etc and passing that file to the create binary?
Anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks in advance
On 09/15/2015 07:17 PM, Camille Ollié wrote:
> i don't have this issue with Sympa on postfix and ezmlm on Qmail on
> other mailing lists.
> Here is an example : [Bar] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:
> Re: Re: Re: IMP tice
> Even with thunderbird i have the issue.
(Including list in reply)
Well, judging by the subject in your reply to me, your MUA does the
right thing, with Subjects that begin with Re:
But there are other issues here. The example above is from a list at a
site which has configured
OLD_STYLE_PREFIXING = No
So that Mailman puts the subject_prefix ([Bar]) at the beginning of the
Subject: so a list post will be distributed with a Subject: like
Subject: [Mailman-Users] Re: Multiple "Re:" in subject
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Multiple "Re:" in subject
With this subject, a replying MUA probably creates the subject like
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Multiple "Re:" in subject
but Mailman has logic in the subject prefixing code to remove redundant
Re:, Aw:, Sv: and Vs: from the beginning of the subject in this case so
Subject: headers with multiple Re: such as your example should not be
occurring, however there appears a bug in that code. It will remove all
the redundant Re:s from
Subject: Re: [Bar] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IMP tice
but not from
Subject: [Bar] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: IMP tice
I will fix it.
Mark Sapiro <mark(a)msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan