Andrew Dalke wrote:
On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
Btw, numpy loads noticeably faster.
Any chance of someone reviewing my suggestions for making the import somewhat faster still?
So, what is the attitude of people here? Here's my take:
1) Removing ctypeslib import
* Can break code if somebody has been doing import numpy and then using numpy.ctypeslib * I'm fine with people needing to import numpy.ctypeslib to use the capability as long as we clearly indicate these breakages.
2&3) I think defering imports for _datasource.py is a great idea.
4) Removing "import doc"
* This was added recently I think. I'm not sure why it's there, but it might be there as part of the documentation effort. It should be imported with ipython, probably, but not by default.
5) The testing code seems like a lot of duplication to save .01 seconds
6) Remove unused glob --- fine.
7 - 9) These seem fine.
In sum: I think 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 can be done immediately. 1) and 4) could be O.K. but 1) does break code and 4 I'm not sure about. 5 seems like it's too much code duplication for too little savings for my taste.
We need to push of the release of 1.2 I think. We are rushing to get it out by SciPy and it is causing some rushing of collaboration so that people who would like to comment are feeling that they can't or that their comments are not desired or valued. I'm sorry for what I've done that might have left that impression.