F2PY - Fortran to Python Interface Generator --------------------------------------------
I am pleased to announce the seventh public release of F2PY, version 2.39.235_1642. The purpose of the F2PY project is to provide the connection between Python and Fortran programming languages.
For more information, see
What's new? ------------
Since the last public release, that was more than two years ago, F2PY project has been actively maintained and many useful features have been implemented. Here follows some highlights:
* New statement ``usercode`` allows inserting user defined C code to F2PY generated extension module sources at various relevant places: before wrapper functions, after variable declarations, and to the end of initialization function of the module. This makes using F2PY very flexible.
* New statement ``pymethoddef`` allows adding items to PyMethodDef-array.
* Full support for character arrays and arrays of strings is finally implemented.
* Number of feature requests from users are implemented. For example: - the auxiliary ``as_column_major_storage()`` that efficiently converts array to column storage order - the F2PY_REPORT_ON_ARRAY_COPY macro that when defined sends a message to stderr when copy of an array with the size larger than specified threshold is made. - Numarray support, thanks to Todd Miller.
* Support for Win32 and Mac OSX platforms is considerably improved. The list of compilers supported by the scipy_distutils package is longer than ever: GNU Fortran Compiler Portland Group Fortran Compiler Absoft Corp Fortran Compiler MIPSpro Fortran Compiler Sun|Forte Fortran 95 Compiler Intel Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps Intel Fortran Compiler for Itanium apps NAGWare Fortran 95 Compiler Compaq Fortran Compiler DIGITAL|Compaq Visual Fortran Compiler Pacific-Sierra Research Fortran 90 Compiler HP Fortran 90 Compiler Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran 95 Compiler IBM XL Fortran Compiler
* Numerous bugs are fixed. You should definitely update F2PY when using complex input arrays, there was a nasty bug that in certain cases caused incorrect results.
* F2PY has now a man page and its documentation is kept up to date. Many other improvements to F2PY algorithm and usage are implemented, see HISTORY.txt for more details.
Enjoy, Pearu Peterson
--------------- <P><A HREF="http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/">F2PY 2.39.235_1642</A> - The Fortran to Python Interface Generator (24-Feb-04)