This mail announces the release of Elisa 0.3.3 'Mayfly'.
Elisa is a project to create an open source cross platform media
center solution. While our primary development and deployment platform
is GNU/Linux and Unix operating systems we also currently support
MacOSX and also hope to support Microsoft Windows in the future. In
addition to personal video recorder functionality (PVR) and Music
Jukebox support, Elisa will also interoperate with devices following
the DLNA standard like Intel's ViiV systems.
Elisa uses Twisted and GStreamer. Twisted enables the high-level
functionality, distributing components over the network. GStreamer,
through the Python bindings, enables the high-speed low-level
functionality: actual media processing.
For more information, see http://elisa.fluendo.com
To file bugs, go to https://code.fluendo.com/elisa/trac/newticket?component=core
This is Elisa 0.3.3 "Mayfly", third release of the 0.3 branch.
Highlights of the features added since 0.3.2:
- completely new user interface named 'raval' making a better use of screen's
- new visualisation modes: grid of pictures, vertical list and cover flow like
- stacks of picture replace dull directory icons
- mouse support greatly improved
- playback from DAAP shares has been reactivated
- new YouTube plugin
- audio visualisation using libvisual
- faster startup
- better detection of media types using GStreamer
- basic playlist support
Bugs fixed since 0.3.2:
- 752: [win32] update media_uri with windows path
- 885: Online services thumbnails do not appear
- 195: Windows port
- 385: elisa should not hardcode file extensions as a way to detect file type
- 418: Font regeneration when viewport size changes
- 427: DAAP playback support
- 506: solve the sorting problem
- 721: Elisa not starting when running on Python 2.4
- 748: Externalisation in separate files of model/controller/views associations
- 758: [win32] units tests do not works on windows
- 763: Component missing a Python dependency prevents Elisa from starting up
- 781: thread issue with hal, dbus and the elisa bus
- 446: Cleanup of attribute change notifications
- 592: ticket explanation page
- 618: Don't ship .mo files in the source distribution
- 633: Sizes in player_view of poblenou_frontend should be relative to the canvas
- 709: Use ReviewBoard for code reviews
- 725: Unicode breaks media_uri (as usual)
- 728: Typefinding potential improvements
- 732: Windows/task system
- 733: faster plugins loading
- 738: HAL fails to initialize if dbus not running
- 743: Cleanup and proper testing of lists in MVC
- 745: Complete unit tests in core
- 750: In Pigment based frontends, changing the size of the canvas does not work well
- 762: use media_manager wherever os.open or open() is called
- 774: Playing a video and then trying to play another one before its end does not work
- 778: Hotplug is broken
- 787: Remove the classic frontend plugin
- 788: Split plugins.bad.media_bad in two plugins
- 789: split plugins.good.input_good in two plugins
- 790: split plugins.good.media_good
- 791: move stage6 plugins in ugly
- 792: split plugins.ugly.media_ugly in two plugins
- 801: split plugins in plugins.base.media_provider
- 839: update configuration updator
- 846: Split plugins.bad.input_bad in two plugins
- 847: Split plugins.good.services_good in three plugins
- 850: Rename and move service plugin (elisa/plugins/service) into an about plugin
- 865: Polish (pol) translation
- 868: get_metadata should have a priority parameter
- 722: PlayerRegistry should state a warning if there are no player engines in the configuration
- 723: Play next song after current song is finished.
- 724: Bind next track on streamzap remotes to next song by default
- 760: make XDG user-dirs support optional
- 761: gnomevfs plugin crashes if gnomevfs module is not installed
- 765: Elisa starts when pysqlite2 is not installed, but segfaults when it is
- 772: playbin engine/player engine will not open property_set('uri'....
- 773: EXIF Rotated pictures are rotated at low quality and not rotated in high
- 852: move mouse in player frame dropping video
- 854: Subtitles desynced when seeking in media
- 861: Add moblin detection code in setup.py
- 866: Untranslated strings
- 894: GPL-Licence and copyright year update
You can find source releases of Elisa in the download directory:
More details can be found on the project's website: http://elisa.fluendo.com
Support and Bugs
We use an issue tracker for bug reports and feature requests:
You can browse the repository of SVN code from our tracker.
All code is in SVN and can be checked out from there.
It is hosted on https://code.fluendo.com/elisa/svn/
Contributors to this release:
- Guido Amoruso
- Hugo Baldasano
- Florian Boucault
- Christophe Dumas
- Alessandro Decina
- Benjamin Kampmann
- Arek Korbik
- Lionel Martin
- Loïc Molinari
- Philippe Normand
- Michał Sawicz
- Josep Torra
I have just released Shed Skin 0.0.26, with the following goodies:
-Almost complete support for os.path (bootstrapped using Shed Skin)
-Support for collections.defaultdict (completing collections)
-Much improved support for the os module (though many methods remain)
-Support for 5 of 7 last missing str methods
-Added support for getopt.gnu_getopt (bootstrapped)
-Improved support for locales
-Optimized string addition (a+b+c..)
-Much better documentation (tutorial)
-Added a Debian package
-Squashed many bugs
-Moved to Google code hosting
Please have a look at my latest blog entry for more details about the
release, or visit the new Google code hosting site:
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code"
- Ken Thompson
Bookmarks Database and Internet Robot
WHAT IS IT
A set of classes, libraries, programs and plugins I use to manipulate my
bookmarks.html. I like Mozilla, but I need more features. I want to extend
Mozilla's "Check for updates" feature (Navigator4 called it "Update
WHAT'S NEW in version 4.1.0 (2008-01-14)
Parser for HTML based on BeautifulSoup.
Changed User-agent header: I saw a number of sites that forbid
"Mozilla compatible" browsers. Added a number of fake headers to pretend
this is a real web-browser - there are still stupid sites
that are trying to protect themselves from robots by analyzing headers.
Handle redirects while looking for the icon.
Handle float timeouts in HTML redirects.
Minimal required version of Python is 2.5 now.
WHAT'S NEW in version 4.0.0 (2007-10-20)
Extended support for Mozilla: charset and icon in bookmarks.
Use the charset to add Accept-Charset header.
Retrieve favicon.ico (or whatever <link> points to) and store it.
The project celebrates 10th anniversary!
WHAT'S NEW in version 3.4.1 (2005-01-29)
Updated to Python 2.4. Switched from CVS to Subversion.
WHERE TO GET
Master site: http://phd.pp.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db
A mirror: http://phd.webhost.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db
Oleg Broytmann <phd(a)phd.pp.ru>
Copyright (C) 1997-2008 PhiloSoft Design
Oleg Broytmann http://phd.pp.ru/ phd(a)phd.pp.ru
Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
Pydev and Pydev Extensions 1.3.11 have been released
Details on Pydev Extensions: http://www.fabioz.com/pydev
Details on Pydev: http://pydev.sf.net
Details on its development: http://pydev.blogspot.com
Release Highlights in Pydev Extensions:
* Code-analysis: Doesn't report 'statement without effect' within yield.
* Code-analysis: @DynamicAttrs now works in direct class access (not
only on instance access from a class).
* Code-analysis: Names to consider in global do not trigger undefined
variables when they have some attribute access.
* Code-analysis: Accessing locals() will mark local variables as read.
* Code-analysis: No indentation warnings on multiline strings that use
Release Highlights in Pydev:
* Jython Integration: Java modules may be referenced from pydev
projects (working with code-completion, go to definition, etc).
* Jython Debugger: Does not attempt to run untraced threads if version
<= 2.2.1 (this was a Jython bug that's patched for the current trunk
-- note: it prevented the debugger from working correctly with
* Project build: Only referenced projects are rebuilt (and not all
projects in the workspace -- e.g.: unreferenced c++ projects).
* Spell checking (depends on JDT): Integrated for comments and strings
within pydev (eclipse 3.4 should add the support for working without
* Files without extension: A file without extension can have
code-completion / go to definition (as long as the others around it do
* Debug: Variable substitution is no longer asked twice in debug mode.
* Custom Filters: User-defined filters can be specified in the Pydev
* Debugger: performance improvements to get the existing frames for
Python 2.4 and Jython 2.1.
* Outline view: Better refresh (doesn't collapse the tree for simple
* Undo limit: The undo limit set in window > preferences > general >
editors > text editors works for pydev.
* Editor: Tabs as spaces: The newly added 'insert spaces for tabs' in
the general preferences was conflicting with pydev (those settings are
* Patch by Laurent Dore: Added filter for *.py~ and comments
* Delete *.pyc action: also deletes *.pyo files
* Ctrl+Click: behaves exactly as F3.
* Dedent: No auto-dedent after yield
What is PyDev?
PyDev is a plugin that enables users to use Eclipse for Python and
Jython development -- making Eclipse a first class Python IDE -- It
comes with many goodies such as code completion, syntax highlighting,
syntax analysis, refactor, debug and many others.
ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software
Pydev - Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse