The big news this week was the release of Zope 2.0 beta one. Zope 2 final is getting closer and closer. Beta one increases stability over the alpha releases and also adds a few missing pieces like the ability to tie permissions to factories. Also you can now export Zope objects to XML. Speaking of XML, as of beta one all basic Zope objects support a subset of the DOM Element interface, and the unsupported XML Document product is out and in CVS.
* Zope 2.0 beta one was released this week. Now you can download a binary release of Zope 2.
* The Zope site received a look and feel makeover. Most people seem to like the new design. A couple people posted describing the strange feeling of having the entire site change while browsing it. Zope sessions are cool!
* Amos Latteier announced the availability of XML Document 1.0a1 a Zope product for using XML. A couple days later, XML Document made it into public CVS.
http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-July/007126.html http://www.zope.org/Download/XMLDocument http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/1999-July/000990.html * Anthony Pfrunder announced a new version of his Zope for windows distribution.
http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope/1999-July/007189.html * Michel Pelletier announced Zippy Tag which allows you to insert random Zippy the Pinhead quotes in your Zope documents. Yes!
* Paul Everitt discusses how you can now export Zope objects to XML. Basically the XML format describes Python pickles.
* Michel Pelletier posted an extremely simple summary of how to hook a form to a database. This is a good read for those new to Zope.
* Andreas Kostyrka posted a patch to allow Zope to server multiple sites from one process. Very interesting, multiple sites from one object database!
* Eric Kidd posted a Zope/XML-RPC todo list. Follow up posts confirmed that a number of the items have already been done.
* Brian Lloyd posted an insightful message describing the 'Owner' role and how to use proxy roles to allow limited access to restricted functions.
* Chris Petrilli mentioned that Gadfly is finally being updated to the latest version. Alright!
See you next week, same time, same channel.
== Amos Latteier mailto:email@example.com Digital Creations http://www.digicool.com