eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime
An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time - available for Linux, Mac OS X and Unix platforms, with support for Python 2.6, 2.7 and now **also for Python 3.4**.
This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading: http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-2.0.0-GA.html
eGenix PyRun is our open source, one file, no installation version of Python, making the distribution of a Python interpreter to run based scripts and applications to Unix based systems as simple as copying a single file.
eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 11MB for Python 2 and 13MB for Python 3, but still supports most Python application and scripts - and it can be compressed to just 3-4MB using upx, if needed.
Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on disk, eGenix PyRun is ideal for applications and scripts that need to be distributed to several target machines, client installations or customers.
It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as copying a single file.
eGenix has been using the product internally in the mxODBC Connect Server since 2008 with great success and decided to make it available as a stand-alone open-source product.
We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix PyRun, as well as pre-compiled binaries for Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X, as 32- and 64-bit versions. The binaries can be downloaded manually, or you can let our automatic install script install-pyrun take care of the installation: ./install-pyrun dir and you're done.
Please see the product page for more details:
This is a major release of eGenix PyRun. The most significant step forward in this release is the addition of Python 3.4 support.
New Features ------------
* Added Python 3.4 support to eGenix PyRun.
* eGenix PyRun defaults to PYTHONIOENCODING = "utf-8:surrogateescape" for Python 3.4 to provide a better user experience.
* Enabled the lib2to3 package to work with eGenix PyRun. This allows on-the-fly Python 3 conversions as used by e.g. the setuptools package to work with eGenix PyRun.
* Frozen modules in eGenix PyRun now always have the __file__ attribute set - unlike in standard Python This increases compatibility of pyrun with existing Python software. Submitted as http://bugs.python.org/issue21736
Enhancements / Changes ----------------------
* Added work-around for bug in Python 3.4 modulefinder module. Submitted as http://bugs.python.org/issue21707
* Added work-around for problem with logging package's use of the __file__ attribute. Submitted as http://bugs.python.org/issue21709
* Added work-around for getting runpy.run_path() to work with frozen modules in Python 3. This is needed to be able to run packages and ZIP files directly from the command line. Submitted as http://bugs.python.org/issue21737
* Turned our pkgutil.py patch to support frozen modules into a real patch instead of doing this dynamically. Submitted as http://bugs.python.org/issue21749
* Removed support for Python 2.5 from eGenix PyRun.
install-pyrun Quick Install Enhancements ---------------------------------------------
eGenix PyRun includes a shell script called install-pyrun, which greatly simplifies installation of PyRun. It works much like the virtualenv shell script used for creating new virtual environments (except that there's nothing virtual about PyRun environments).
With the script, an eGenix PyRun installation is as simple as running:
This will automatically detect the platform, download and install the right pyrun version into targetdir.
We have updated this script since the last release:
* Updated install-pyrun to default to eGenix PyRun 2.0.0 and its feature set.
* install-pyrun will no longer install the latest versions of pip and setuptools due to recent incompatible changes in those packages. Instead, the script uses fixed defaults and makes it easy to override them.
* install-pyrun now uses pip 1.4.1 and setuptools 2.1 per default instead of the latest versions for better backwards compatibility with packages not hosted on PyPI.
* install-pyrun can optionally fetch the latest versions of pip and setuptools by using "latest" as version number for --pip-version and --setuptools-version.
* install-pyrun script is now available in signed and hashed form for additional security.
For a complete list of changes, please see the eGenix PyRun Changelog:
eGenix PyRun is distributed under the eGenix.com Public License 1.1.0 which is an Open Source license similar to the Python license. You can use eGenix PyRun in both commercial and non-commercial settings without fee or charge.
Please see our license page for more details:
The package comes with full source code.
The download archives and instructions for installing eGenix PyRun can be found at:
As always, we are providing pre-built binaries for all common platforms: Windows 32/64-bit, Linux 32/64-bit, FreeBSD 32/64-bit, Mac OS X 32/64-bit. Source code archives are available for installation on other platforms, such as Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.
Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com. Please see
for details about our support offerings.
For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download instructions, please visit our web-site:
About Python (http://www.python.org/):
Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use, clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid application design, Python establishes an ideal programming platform for today's IT challenges.
About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):
eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company specializing in expert project services and professional quality products for companies, Python users and developers.