We're glad to announce the release of fades 3.
fades, a FAst DEpendencies for Scripts, is a system that automatically handles the virtualenvs in the simple cases normally found when writing scripts or simple programs.
It will automagically create a new virtualenv (or reuse a previous created one), installing the necessary dependencies, and execute your script inside that virtualenv.
You only need to execute the script with fades (instead of Python) and also mark the required dependencies. More details here:
What's new in this release?
- You can use it with different interpreter versions! Just pass --python=python2 or whatever pleases you.
- Dependencies can be specified through command line: no need to touch the script for a quick test, just specify the needed dependency with "-d".
- Interactive mode: fastest way to try a new lib! Just do
fades -d <dependency>
and it will open an interactive interpreter inside a venv with that dep.
- It supports getting the arguments from a shellbang. So, you can create a script and put on top of it something like:
#!/usr/bin/env fades -d <dependency> --python=python2.7
- It can parse requirements from a file. No need for further changes if you already have a requirements.txt file: just indicate it with "-r".
- If the repo is not specified, defaults to PyPI, which means cleaner and simpler code.
- There's a built in database for typical package name conversion: this way you can mark with fades an "import bs4" even if that's not really the name of the package in PyPI.
- Other minor bugfixes and improvements
To get it:
- For debian/ubuntu you have a .deb here:
- Install it in Arch is very simple:
yaourt -S fades
- Using pip if you want:
pip3 install fades
- You can always get the multiplatform tarball and install it in the old fashion way:
wget http://taniquetil.com.ar/fades/fades-latest.tar.gz tar -xf fades-latest.tar.gz cd fades-* sudo ./setup.py install
Help / questions:
- You can ask any question or send any recommendation or request to the mailing list.
- Also, you can open an issue here (please do if you find any problem!).
Thanks in advance for your time!