ASPYPython is a environment for the testing and development of SCSI hard drives. Using Guido van Rossum's IDLE environment allows for the rapid development of test scripts that can be used in the evaluation and testing of SCSI hard drives using the ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programming Interface) that is available under Windows 95/98/NT.
The low level SCSI interface functions are incorporated in a DLL (ASPIPy.dll) that behaves like a traffic cop between the user and the hard drive. all commands from the user are sent from Python to the dll, and all drive responses are sent from the dll to either the log file, the user via Python, or both. Higher level scripts and error messages are provided by ASPI.py. This file contains all the startup and initializing function needed by the DLL.
Some of the following features are provided by the DLL,and ASPI.py
1) Six byte, Ten byte, and Twelve byte commands are supported with io6(),io10(),and io12() functions that take either hex or decimal parameters i.e Inquiry command would be io6(0x12,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xff,0x00) or io6(18,0,0,0,255,0).
2) Sensekey and Sensecode values are translated to English statements for the user. i.e 0x06,0x29,0x00 would be displayed as 'Unit Attention ', 'Power On Reset, Or Bus Device Reset Occurred '
3) Added help has been placed in the help menu under IDLE this help contains the folling items: a) Help for ASPIPython. All functions are documented here and in documentation string within each function b) Help of Python itself. A link is provided to a public domain browser that brings up the Python Documentation c) A makedocs link that allows users to add their own help messages to their scripts (See Documentation)
4) All of the advantages of Python for rapid modification and development of test scripts
5) Sample script files that demonstrate the use of these libraries.
For further information see the Documentation at http://starship.python.net/crew/schulenburg
<P><A HREF="http://starship.python.net/crew/schulenburg/">ASPIPython</A> - an ACPI/SCSI hard drive development environment for Windows95/98/NT. (30-Jul-99)
----------- comp.lang.python.announce (moderated) ---------- Article Submission Address: email@example.com Python Language Home Page: http://www.python.org/ Python Quick Help Index: http://www.python.org/Help.html ------------------------------------------------------------