On behalf of Twisted Matrix Laboratories, I am honoured to announce the release of
The highlights of this release are:
- Deferred.addTimeout, for timing out your Deferreds! (contributed by cyli, reviews by
adiroiban, theisencouple, manishtomar, markrwilliams)
- yield from support for Deferreds, in functions wrapped with
twisted.internet.defer.ensureDeferred. This will work in Python 3.4, unlike async/await
which is 3.5+ (contributed by hawkowl, reviews by markrwilliams, lukasa).
- The new asyncio interop reactor, which allows Twisted to run on top of the asyncio
event loop. This doesn't include any Deferred-Future interop, but stay tuned! (contributed
by itamar and hawkowl, reviews by rodrigc, markrwilliams)
- twisted.internet.cfreactor is now supported on Python 2.7 and Python 3.5+! This is
useful for writing pyobjc or Toga applications. (contributed by hawkowl, reviews by glyph,
- twisted.python.constants has been split out into constantly on PyPI, and likewise with
twisted.python.versions going into the PyPI package incremental. Twisted now uses these
external packages, which will be shared with other projects (like Klein). (contributed by
hawkowl, reviews by glyph, markrwilliams)
- Many new Python 3 modules, including twisted.pair, twisted.python.zippath,
twisted.spread.pb, and more parts of Conch! (contributed by rodrigc, hawkowl, glyph,
berdario, & others, reviews by acabhishek942, rodrigc, & others)
- Many bug fixes and cleanups!
- 260+ closed tickets overall.
For more information, check the NEWS file (link provided below).
You can find the downloads at <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted> (or alternatively <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Downloads http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Downloads>). The NEWS file is
also available at <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/twisted-16.5.0/NEWS https://github.com/twisted/twisted/blob/twisted-16.5.0/NEWS>.
Many thanks to everyone who had a part in this release - the supporters of the Twisted
Software Foundation, the developers who contributed code as well as documentation, and all
the people building great things with Twisted!
Amber Brown (HawkOwl)
PS: I wrote a blog post about Twisted's progress in 2016! https://atleastfornow.net/blog/marching-ever-forward/