I have released Mailman 2.1.4, a bug fix release that also contains support for four new languages: Catalan, Croatian, Romanian, and Slovenian. This release also contains a fix for a cross-site scripting vulnerability in the 'admin' cgi script (see CAN-2003-0965). There is also an expanded ability to filter message headers, nominally to provide better support when Mailman is used in conjunction with upstream spam and virus filters.
The full source tarball has been made available from the usual sites. Sorry, there is no patch available yet, but you should be able to install Mailman 2.1.4 over your existing 2.1.x installation. See
for links to the downloadable files. After installing, be sure you restart your Mailman daemon by doing a "mailmanctl restart".
IMPORTANT: You will want to re-run configure before doing a make install.
http://www.list.org http://mailman.sf.net http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman
Enjoy, and have a Happy New Year. -Barry
-------------------- snip snip -------------------- 2.1.4 (31-Dec-2003)
- Close some cross-site scripting vulnerabilities in the admin pages (CAN-2003-0965).
- New languages: Catalan, Croatian, Romanian, Slovenian.
- New mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py variable PUBLIC_MBOX which allows the site administrator to disable public access to all the raw list mbox files (this is not a per-list configuration).
- Expanded header filter rules under Privacy -> Spam Filters. Now you can specify regular expression matches against any header, with specific actions tied to those matches.
- Rework the SMTP error handling in SMTPDirect.py to avoid scoring bounces for all recipients when a permanent error code is returned by the mail server (e.g. because of content restrictions).
- Promoted SYNC_AFTER_WRITE to a Default.py/mm_cfg.py variable and make it control syncing on the config.pck file. Also, we always flush and sync message files.
- Reduce archive bloat by not storing the HTML body of Article objects in the Pipermail database. A new script bin/rb-archfix was added to clean up older archives.
- Proper RFC quoting for List-ID descriptions.
- PKGDIR can be passed to the make command in order to specify a different directory to unpack the distutils packages in misc. (SF bug 784700).
- Improved logging of the origin of subscription requests.
- Bugs and patches: 832748 (unsubscribe_policy ignored for unsub button on member login page), 846681 (bounce disabled cookie was always out of date), 835870 (check VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW on through the web list creation), 835036 (global address change when the new address is already a member of one of the lists), 833384 (incorrect admin password on a hold message confirmation attachment would discard the message), 835012 (fix permission on empty archive index), 816410 (confirmation page consistency), 834486 (catch empty charsets in the scrubber), 777444 (set the process's supplemental groups if possible), 860135 (ignore DiscardMessage exceptions during digest scrubbing), 828811 (reduce process size for list and admin overviews), 864674/864676 (problems accessing private archives and rosters with admin password), 865661 (Tokio Kikuchi's i18n patches), 862906 (unicode prefix leak in admindb), 841445 (setting new_member_options via config_list), n/a (fixed email command 'set delivery')