I am pleased to announce the release of a new major version of omniORBpy, version 4.2.0. omniORBpy is a high performance free CORBA implementation for Python.
omniORB 4.2 has a number of new features compared to omniORB 4.1.x, both large and small. Here are the highlights:
- Full Asynchronous Method Invocation (AMI) support.
- Support for ZIOP, which compresses large messages.
- Call timeouts are indicated with the CORBA.TIMEOUT exception, rather than CORBA.TRANSIENT (unless suppressed with the throwTransientOnTimeout configuration parameter).
- Servers can be limited to a range of ports to listen on.
- In Python, IDL attributes can now be accessed as properties of object references. i.e. IDL attribute 'example' can be accessed as obj.example as well as with obj._get_example() and obj._set_example().
- Ancient Python versions are no longer supported. omniidl and omniORBpy now only work with Python 2.5 or later.
The releases can be downloaded in source and Windows binary forms from SourceForge:
Thank you to everyone who contributed to these releases in one way or another.