mxODBC Zope Database Adapter
Available for Zope 2.3 through 2.7 on Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD
The eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter (Zope DA) allows you to easily connect your Zope installation to just about any database backend on the market today, giving you the reliability of the commercially supported eGenix.com product mxODBC and the flexibility of the ODBC standard as middle-tier architecture.
Unlike Zope's ZODBC Zope DA, the mxODBC Zope DA works on Windows XP/NT/2000/98, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD using the same interface on all platforms.
The mxODBC Zope DA implements high performance thread-safe connection pooling and multiple physical connects per logical Zope connection. You can safely run Z SQL Methods in parallel, achieving a much better throughput than ZODBC Zope DA or similar Zope database adapters under heavy load.
This makes it ideal for deployment in ZEO Clusters and Zope hosting environments where stability and high performance are a top priority.
* Zope Level 3 Database Adapter: the mxODBC Zope DA is fully multi-threaded and can handle multiple connections to multiple databases.
* Fully compatible to Z SQL Methods.
* Drop-in compatible to the ZODBC DA: the mxODBC Zope DA provides the same interfaces as Zope's ZODBC DA to allow a smooth upgrade path from this simplistic adapater to the high performance mxODBC Zope DA.
* Fully compatible to the Znolk SQL Wizard Product and other similar products relying on the common database schema access methods .tables() and .columns().
* Connection Pooling: physical database connections are pooled and kept open, to reduce the connection overhead to a minimum. This is especially important for high latency database connections and ones like Oracle which take a considerable amount of time to setup
* Parallel Execution of Queries on a single logical connection: the mxODBC Zope DA can manage any number of physical connections on a single logical connection. This enables running truly parallel Z SQL Method queries -- a feature not available in other Zope DAs.
* Robust Mode of Operation: connections which have timed out or go away due to network problems are automatically reconnected.
* Cross-platform Connection Objects: The Zope DA will automatically choose the right platform specific ODBC manager for you.
* Per Connection Adjustable ODBC Interface: mxODBC comes with many different subpackages to choose from on Unix. The Zope DA allows you to select these subpackages on a per-connection basis.
* Per Connection Error Handling: you can tell each connection whether it should report ODBC warnings or not; furthermore all warnings and errors are made available as list .messages on the DatabaseConnection object.
* Transaction safe automatic reconnect: when the DA finds that a connection has timed out, it automatically tries a reconnect and replays the transaction on the connection (unlike other DAs which break the transaction scheme by doing a reconnect without replay).
* Built-in Schema Cache: this results in improved performance under heavy load.
* Database Schema Access: all ODBC catalog methods are made available for much better database schema inquiry. The catalog methods allow building generic database interrogation or manipulation tools and facilitates writing database independent Zope products.
* Lazy Connect: the mxODBC Zope DA only connects to the database backends when a connection is actually requested. This results in a better use of resources compared to other Zope DAs.
Version 1.0.8 includes the following changes and enhancements:
* Zope 2.7.0 and Python 2.3 are fully supported on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD.
* You can let the mxODBC Zope DA return empty strings instead of None for SQL NULL values. This should simplify porting existing applications to the mxODBC Zope DA.
* The included mxODBC 2.1 provides full Unicode support if accessed directly. Using e.g. the EasySoft ODBC-ODBC bridge this allows you to connect to any remote Unicode aware ODBC backend from any of the supported platforms.
In short: mxODBC Zope DA is continuing to become the number one solution for integrating relational databases with Zope applications.
If you have already bought mxODBC Zope DA licenses, you can use these license for the updated version as well. There is no need to buy new licenses. The same is true for evaluation license users.
________________________________________________________________________ MORE INFORMATION
For more information on the mxODBC Zope DA, licensing and download instructions, please visit our web-site:
You can buy mxODBC Zope DA licenses online from the eGenix.com shop at: