ANNOUNCING eGenix.com mxODBC Connect
Python Database Interface
mxODBC Connect is our commercially supported client-server product for connecting Python applications to relational databases in a truly cross-platform way.
This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading: http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-Connect-2.0.1-GA.html
The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the market today in a highly portable, convenient and secure way.
Python Database Connectivity the Easy Way -----------------------------------------
Unlike our mxODBC Python extension, mxODBC Connect is designed as client-server application, so you no longer need to find production quality ODBC drivers for all the platforms you target with your Python application.
Instead you use an easy to install Python client library which connects directly to the mxODBC Connect database server over the network.
This makes mxODBC Connect a great basis for writing cross-platform multi-tier database applications and utilities in Python, especially if you run applications that need to communicate with databases such as MS SQL Server and MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix, Sybase ASE and Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more, that run on Windows or Linux machines.
Ideal for Database Driven Client Applications ---------------------------------------------
By removing the need to install and configure ODBC drivers on the client side and dealing with complicated network setups for each set of drivers, mxODBC Connect greatly simplifies deployment of database driven client applications, while at the same time making the network communication between client and database server more efficient and more secure.
For more information, please have a look at the mxODBC Connect product page, in particular, the full list of available features.
For more information, please see the product page:
The 2.0.1 release of mxODBC Connect includes the following enhancements and fixes:
API Enhancements ----------------
* Added support for returning SQL Server TIME columns as time value instead of as string.
* Added a work-around to prevent truncation warnings with the SQL Server ODBC driver when using .executemany(..., direct=1). Thanks for Michael Bayer.
Server Enhancements -------------------
* Upgraded the mxODBC used in the server to version mxODBC 3.2.1.
Client Enhancements -------------------
* Added egenix-mx-base dependency to mxODBC Connect egg files.
* Added hint on how to work with REF CURSORS in Oracle stored procedures. Thanks to Etienne Desgagné.
mxODBC Connect 2.0.0 was released on 2012-08-20. These are the highlights of the new release:
mxODBC Connect 2.0 Enhanced API -------------------------------
* mxODBC Connect Server now uses mxODBC 3.2 internally and makes its API available in the mxODBC Connect Client. This is a major step forward from the mxODBC 3.0 version used in mxODBC Connect Server 1.0.
* mxODBC Connect Client comes with all the mxODBC enhancements, including:
- connection and cursor objects can be used as context managers
- adjustable parameter styles (qmark or named)
- connection .autocommit attribute to easily switch on autocommit
- adjustable timestamp resolution
- new possibilities to set connection and cursor options to adjust the ODBC objects to your application needs, e.g. set a connection read-only or set a query timeout
- adjustable decimal, datetime and string formats
- adjustable warning format to be able to handle server warnings without client interaction
- greatly improved result set scrolling support
- Unicode support for all catalog methods
- Access to additional result set meta data via cursor.getcolattribute()
Updated Compatibility ---------------------
* The server now features all the ODBC driver compatibility enhancements provided by mxODBC 3.2, including improved and updated support for MS SQL Server Native Client, Oracle Instant Client, Sybase ASE, IBM DB2, Teradata and Netezza.
* Native Windows x64 builds with signed executables and a tray app rewritten in C are available for Windows 2008R2, Vista and 7 x64, so you can benefit from better performance, fewer UAC dialogs and smaller memory footprint.
Asynchronous Execution ----------------------
* mxODBC Connect Client now integrates directly with gevent, allowing client applications to run asynchronous tasks while performing remote database queries.
Better Integration ------------------
* mxODBC Connect now uses the official IANA registered port 6632 for both plain text and SSL-encrypted communication.
* mxODBC Connect Client now allows selecting the used SSL module from two available options: Python standard lib ssl module and pyOpenSSL.
For the full set of changes, please check the mxODBC Connect change log.
You are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC Connect release. When upgrading, please always upgrade both the server and the client installations to the same version - even for patch level releases.
Customers who have purchased mxODBC Connect 2.0 licenses can continue to use their licenses with this patch level release.
Customers who have purchased mxODBC Connect 1.x licenses can request 20% discount coupons for upgrade purchases. Please contact the eGenix.com Sales Team (email@example.com) with your existing license serials for details.
Users of our stand-alone mxODBC product will have to purchase new licenses from our online shop in order to use mxODBC Connect.
You can request 30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site or writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your name (or the name of the company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.
The download archives as well as instructions for installation and configuration of the product can be found on the product page:
If you want to try the package, jump straight to the download instructions:
Fully functional evaluation licenses for the mxODBC Connect Server are available free of charge:
mxODBC Connect Client is always free of charge.
Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
for details about our support offerings.
About Python (http://www.python.org/):
Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use, clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid application design, Python establishes an ideal programming platform for today's IT challenges.
About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):
eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company focusing on expert services and professional quality products for companies, Python users and developers.