Announcing Urwid 0.9.5 ----------------------
Urwid home page: http://excess.org/urwid/
About this release: ===================
This release adds support for the alternate character set with DEC special and line drawing characters. Urwid will now display these characters properly in almost all terminals and encodings. This change also opens the door to future support for ISO-2022 encodings with switching character sets.
A new example program was added to demonstrate Urwid's graphics widgets, two new widget types were introduced, existing widgets were improved and bugs were fixed.
New in this release: ====================
- Some Unicode characters are now converted to use the G1 alternate character set with DEC special and line drawing characters. These Unicode characters should now "just work" in almost all terminals and encodings.
When Urwid is run with the UTF-8 encoding the characters are left as UTF-8 and not converted.
The characters converted are: \u00A3 (£), \u00B0 (°), \u00B1 (±), \u00B7 (·), \u03C0 (π), \u2260 (≠), \u2264 (≤), \u2265 (≥), \u23ba (⎺), \u23bb (⎻), \u23bc (⎼), \u23bd (⎽), \u2500 (─), \u2502 (│), \u250c (┌), \u2510 (┐), \u2514 (└), \u2518 (┘), \u251c (├), \u2524 (┤), \u252c (┬), \u2534 (┴), \u253c (┼), \u2592 (▒), \u25c6 (◆)
- New SolidFill class for filling an area with a single character.
- New LineBox class for wrapping widgets in a box made of line- drawing characters. May be used as a box widget or a flow widget.
- New example program graph.py demonstrates use of BarGraph, LineBox, ProgressBar and SolidFill.
- Pile class may now be used as a box widget and contain a mix of box and flow widgets.
- Columns class may now contain a mix of box and flow widgets. The box widgets will take their height from the maximum height of the flow widgets.
- Improved the smoothness of resizing with raw_display module. The module will now try to stop updating the screen when a resize event occurs during the update.
- The Edit and IntEdit classes now use their set_edit_text(..) and set_edit_pos(..) functions when handling keypresses, so those functions may be overridden to catch text modification.
- The set_state(..) functions in the CheckBox and RadioButton classes now have a do_callback parameter that determines if the callback function registered will be called.
- Fixed a newly introduced incompatibility with python < 2.3.
- Fixed a missing symbol in curses_display when python is linked against libcurses.
- Fixed mouse handling bugs in the Frame and Overlay classes.
- Fixed a Padding bug when the left or right has no padding.
About Urwid ===========
Urwid is a console UI library for Python. It features fluid interface resizing, UTF-8 support, multiple text layouts, simple attribute markup, powerful scrolling list boxes and flexible interface design.
Urwid is released under the GNU LGPL.