On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:49 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Personally, I'd still like to defer beta1 until after the Mercurial switch (or alternatively, do the final 3.2 release from subversion as Raymond suggested).
What would these proposed delayings / deferments achieve?
They will prevent the mess from happening that would happen if we switch to Mercurial in the middle of release candidates. I expect the initial release using Mercurial to just not work, plus I plan to need several days to make the release. Doing so under the time pressure of a release candidate is not something I look forward to.
However, I also sympathise with Georg's desire to have both the original release and subsequent maintenance releases all on Mercurial rather than being stuck with releasing from a Subversion branch, or else trying to switch between Subversion and Mercurial for the 3.2.1 maintenance release.
Given that we don't have any strict external deadlines, the solution that seems to make the most sense is to:
- Feature freeze now (which has happened with 3.2b1 going out the
door the other day) 2. Work on the Mercurial transition over the next few weeks and do 3.2b2 from Mercurial early in the new year. 3. Do b3/rc1/rc2 based on the mutually convenient b2 release date that is worked out between Georg, Dirkjan, Martin and Ronald.