Would it be possible to have all proposals:

- How to determine the governance structure (PEP 10 or other approval process)
- The suggested governance structure

submitted by AOE August 31, 2018?

That would give everyone 40ish days to get their proposals in for either topic.

That would give everyone a full 30 day review period before the emerging October 1 decision moratorium. 

Perhaps we can post the timeline as an informational PEP by the end of July.

Suggested timeline:

July 31 AOE - Informational PEP on this timeline or emails to python-committers, python-dev as a less formal notification of timeline

August 31 AOE - Submissions due for proposals on governance decision making and governance structure. Proposals should be posted as PRs on either the PEP repo or a TBD repo.

Sept 1 - 30 Review period for all submissions by committers and community.

Oct 1 - Earliest possible decision on any proposals (perhaps a strawperson poll begins on Oct 1 and ends by Oct 7, if needed re: PEP 10, on all decision making proposals.

Oct 15 - 21 Strawperson poll on all governance structures, if needed.

Nov 15 - Target date for formalizing names to roles

I'm happy to write up the Information PEP for the timeline or draft an email message.

In addition, I am happy to assist in editing any proposals that folks wish to submit.

On Jul 19, 2018, at 8:59 AM, Brett Cannon <brett@python.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 22:32 Carol Willing, <willingc@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Ethan for clarifying. Totally cool if that is the case.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 10:19 PM Ethan Furman <ethan@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
On 07/18/2018 09:40 PM, Carol Willing wrote:
> I am in favor of a time limit. Yet, October 1 seems a bit too long for the initial governance decision (i.e. how to
> decide how to decide). My perspective, based on transitions in non-profits and the corporate world, is that the longer
> an organization let's it draw out then fear, uncertainty, and doubt creep in.
> We have PEP 10 in place for a strawperson vote. It seems as good as anything to use to determine how to make a decision.
> Perhaps set a 30 day deadline to submit decision process recommendations. Then take a strawperson poll on each and at
> the core sprint create a time window for specific proposals on structure be submitted before October 1.
> My concern if we leave how to decide until at least Oct 1 that the likelihood of completing this year is fairly low.

My understanding is that, between now and Oct 1, we'll all get our proposals together for both how to decide, and what
to decide.  Then we have the first vote to decide how to decide, then maybe a week or two later we use that mechanism to
decide on a governance model.

I had Carol's same worry that while it's great to have a "no sooner than" date, we also can't let this drag on and we have no "settle by" date, else we risk losing the faith of the community in our ability to come together and make decisions (e.g. if I heard it took a year for a project to resolve this then I would think there was some major divisiveness on the team).

So could we go with Nathaniel's idea of no decision before October, but any proposals to be ready by then as well as Ethan suggested?

I would also propose we have a goal of at least choosing the governance model by the end of the year (and a stretch goal to even have people placed into created positions by then as well). I have no problem with sooner, but I think it might be good to try to put _some_ upper bound on this.



python-committers mailing list
Code of Conduct: https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
python-committers mailing list
Code of Conduct: https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/