On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 at 06:29 Terry Reedy email@example.com wrote:
On 12/19/2016 12:26 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:
Python 3.6.0 final just slipped by two weeks. I scheduled 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 to ship about a month after 3.6.0 did, to "let the dust settle" around the release. I expect a flood of adoption of 3.6, and people switching will find bugs, and maybe those bugs are in 3.5 or 3.4. So it just seemed sensible.
3.6 just slipped by two weeks. So now there's less than two weeks between 3.6.0 final shipping and tagging the release canddiates for 3.5.3 and 3.4.6. This isn't as much time as I'd like.
If I had total freedom to do as I liked, I'd slip my releases by two weeks to match 3.6. But there might be people planning around 3.5.3 and 3.4.6--like Guido was waiting for 3.5.3 for something iirc.
So, if you have an opinion, please vote for one of these three options:
- Don't slip 3.5.3. and 3.4.6.
I am mildly in favor of this. There are already known bugs in 3.5 that will not get fixed, no matter how long you delay the final maintenance release. There are even bugs left in 2.7 after 6 years of fixing. In the meanwhile, it is a mild nuisance to have 3 3.x maintenance branches open.
I don't know when Brett will move us to GIT and how that might impact the timing.
Slipping doesn't affect me yet as all the pieces are still not quite in place. So a shift in release just shifts the blackout period for the week prior to the 3.5.3 release.