There is an old discussion about the performance of PyMem_Malloc() memory allocator.
Oops, I forgot to mention that my patch is a follow-up of a previous patch showing nice speedup on dict: http://bugs.python.org/issue23601 (but I said it in my issue ;-))
Well, see http://bugs.python.org/issue26249 for the longer context.
2016-02-03 22:03 GMT+01:00 Victor Stinner email@example.com:
Does anyone recall the rationale to have two families to memory allocators?
I asked Mercurial, and I found the change addind PyMem_Malloc(): --- branch: legacy-trunk user: Guido van Rossum firstname.lastname@example.org date: Tue Aug 05 01:59:22 1997 +0000 files: Include/mymalloc.h description: Added Py_Malloc and friends as well as PyMem_Malloc and friends. ---
As expected, it's old, as the change adding PyObject_Malloc(): --- changeset: 12576:1c7c2dd1beb1 branch: legacy-trunk user: Guido van Rossum email@example.com date: Wed May 03 23:44:39 2000 +0000 files: Include/mymalloc.h Include/objimpl.h Modules/_cursesmodule.c Modules/_sre.c Modules/_tkinter.c Modules/almodule.c Modules/arraymodule.c Modules/bsddbmodule. description: Vladimir Marangozov's long-awaited malloc restructuring. For more comments, read the firstname.lastname@example.org archives. For documentation read the comments in mymalloc.h and objimpl.h.
(This is not exactly what Vladimir posted to the patches list; I've made a few changes, and Vladimir sent me a fix in private email for a problem that only occurs in debug mode. I'm also holding back on his change to main.c, which seems unnecessary to me.) ---