I would be great to read the impact analysis for this change, and understand who the identified impacted parties are, and what the plan is to notify them and help them update within this timescale.
Has this analysis been published anywhere? I know there are lots of places where discussions/documentation happens
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 2:10 PM Pablo Galindo Salgado firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I am writing on behalf of the Python Release Management team. The Steering Council has requested the RM team to schedule and perform the necessary changes to rename the default branch from master to main.
# The changes
What follows is the technical description of the changes and the timeline. In order to keep this thread focused on this particular aspect, if you wish to discuss anything related to the change itself, please, open a new email thread or reuse an existing one.
- The change will be executed ***when beta 1 is released***, as the
beta 1 release requires some branching engineering already to create the 3.10 branch and point 3.11 to the new one as well as changing CI, buildbots...etc ** *This is scheduled for Monday, 2021-05-03**.*
- The CI will be adapted to work with the new "main" branch.
- The buildbots will be adapted to work with the new "main" branch.
- Branch protection rules will be adapted.
- The different bots will be adapted by the respective bot maintainer
- All the URLs that point to master in the README and other places
will be adapted to point to main instead (notice this is not strictly necessary because GitHub redirects automatically).
Notice that the renaming will automatically:
- Re-target any open pull requests
- Update any draft releases based on the branch
- Move any branch protection rules that explicitly reference the old
- Show a notice to repository contributors, maintainers, and admins on
the repository homepage with instructions to update local copies of the repository
- Show a notice to contributors who git push to the old branch
- Redirect web requests for the old branch name to the new branch name
- Return a "Moved Permanently" response in API requests for the old
Check this https://github.com/github/renaming for more information.
# What you need to do?
You just need to update your local clone after the branch name changes. From the local clone of the repository on a computer, run the following commands to update the name of the default branch.
$ git branch -m master main $ git fetch origin $ git branch -u origin/main main
Apart from that, you should update any local script or command that uses the name "master" to use the name "main".
Regards from windy London, Pablo Galindo Salgado _______________________________________________ Python-Dev mailing list -- email@example.com To unsubscribe send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-dev.python.org/ Message archived at https://email@example.com/message/QWW7KGBW... Code of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/