On 01/02/2022 16.08, Victor Stinner wrote:
I would prefer to introduce C API incompatible changes differently: first fix Cython, and *then* introduce the change.
- (1) Propose a Cython PR and get it merged
- (2) Wait until a new Cython version is released
- (3) If possible, wait until numpy is released with regenerated Cython code
- (4) Introduce the incompatible change in Python
Note: Fedora doesn't need (3) since we always regenerated Cython code in numpy.
this is a reasonable request for beta releases, but IMHO it is not feasible for alphas. During alphas we want to innovate fast and play around. Your proposal would slow down innovation and impose additional burden on core developers.
There are more code binding generators than just Cython. Shouldn't we work with cffi, SWIG, sip, pybind11, and PyO3 developers as well? I care for cffi and PyO3, too...
I would prefer if we can get Cython and all the other code generator and bindings library off the unstable C-API. They should use the limited API instead. If they require any C-APIs outside the limited API, then we should investigate and figure something out.