I'd like to do a 2.3b1 release someday. Maybe at the end of next week, that would be Friday April 25. If anyone has something that needs to be done before this release go out, please let me know!
The getargs mods got checked in just this morning, even though I explicitly and rather strongly asked that if these mods be made they be checked in *long* before a release was due:-(
Sorry, I forgot. Did you make a note of that on the SF patch?
This means that all the Mac modules are now 100% dead. The same is probably true for PyObjC. And PyObjC has the added problem that it needs to be compatible with both 2.3b1 and 2.2 (notice that that is "2.2", not "2.2.X": PyObjC has to work with /usr/bin/python that Apple ships, which is 2.2 at the moment). I assume there are format codes that will convert 16 bit and 32 bit integer quantities without any checks on both 2.2 and 2.3, but I haven't investigated yet.
Maybe we should retract the changes to existing format codes that make them more restrictive? That should revive any code that's curerntly dead, right?
And there may be problems with other wrapper packages (win32, wxPython, PyOpenGL) too.
I will start fixing things, but there are only 4 real days left before April 25, given easter, so I would strongly urge for postponing the release date for another two weeks or so.
That would endanger then entire release schedule to the point of pushing the 2.3 release past the OSCON conference (July 7-11).
--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/%7Eguido/)