j: Next unread message
k: Previous unread message
j a: Jump to all threads
j l: Jump to MailingList overview
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:26:01PM -0500, Neal Norwitz wrote:
Oren Tirosh wrote:
Problem: Python name lookup in dictionaries is relatively slow.
I tried this patch (*) by running the regression tests:
make && time ./python -E -tt Lib/test/regrtest.py
All the expected tests passed and there were no failures, this is good. The bad news is that it was slower. It took 42 user seconds longer with the patch than without.
I have tried this and got the same results for the patched and unpatched versions (+-1 second). The regression tests spend most of their time on things like threads, sockets, signals, etc that have a lot of variance and are not really affected by name lookup speed.
I got strage results comparing to the python2.2 RPM package (some faster, some slower). I didn't start to get consistent results until I used two freshly compiled interpreters. I wonder with what options this package was compiled.