On 2008-06-11 13:35, Barry Warsaw wrote:
So I had planned to do a bunch of work last night looking at the release blocker issues, but nature intervened. A bunch of severe thunderstorms knock out my 'net access until this morning.
I'll try to find some time during the day to look at the RB issues. Hopefully we can get Guido to look at them too and Pronounce on some of them. Guido please start with:
My plan is to begin building the betas tonight, at around 9 or 10pm EDT (0100 to 0200 UTC Thursday). If a showstopper comes up before then, I'll email the list. If you think we really aren't ready for beta, then I would still like to get a release out today. In that case, we'll call it alpha and delay the betas.
There are two things I'd like to get in to 3.0:
* .transform()/.untransform() methods (this is mostly done, just need to add the methods to PyUnicode, PyBytes and PyByteArray)
* cleanup of the PyUnicode_AsString() and PyUnicode_AsStringAndSize() C APIs (these APIs don't fit into the naming scheme used in the Unicode API and have a few other issues as well, see issue 2799; at the very least they should be made interpreter internal, ie. rename them to _PyUnicode_AsString() and _PyUnicode_AsStringAndSize() to prevent their use in extensions)
I did not have time in the last few days to work on these and won't in the next few days either. Next week looks much better.
If it's ok to make the above changes after the release (whatever you call it ;-), that would be great.