The Python Steering Council discussed PEP 611 at today’s meeting. Here is our feedback so far:
* The Steering Council reserves the right to be the BDFL-Delegate for this PEP
* The PEP should clearly delineate two aspects:
- A language generic part (i.e. applies to all implementations of Python) which exposes implementation limits in a way that Python code can read at runtime. Think sys.getrecursionlimit(), sys.maxsize, and sys.implementation
- An implementation-specific part where the PEP would propose specific limits for the CPython implementation. Other implementations of the Python language would be free to adjust such limits up or down as they deem appropriate.
* We encourage the PEP authors and proponents to gather actual performance data that can be used to help us evaluate whether this PEP is a good idea or not.
By all means, continue to discuss and refine the PEP. When the PEP author is ready for a pronouncement, you can email the Steering Council.