... Just testing waters here... there's no point in trying to find a solution to something which is not regarded as problem anyway.
There is something to be solved here. Anecdote: I sucked an early version of Greg's textwrap.py module into my build directory. After he checked it in, I changed regrtest.py to use textwrap. This kept failing with baffling errors, until I realized I was still picking up an incompatible textwrap.py from the build directory. So I got rid of the latter. Somewhere in between, I synched my desktop and laptop machines and so got another copy on my laptop that way, which I didn't notice. When I got home and synched the laptop back to the desktop, it then restored the deleted testwrap.py to the desktop machine, and I got the same round of impossible errors all over again. I deleted it from home machine again, but the next time I used my laptop to run the test suite got the impossible errors yet another time -- and had synched the machines again in the meantime so that it once again showed up on the desktop disk.
So there's one use case <wink>.